Thursday, September 30, 2010

Congee for the soul with a cold

Sickness makes me productive again! I ate the rest of the chicken noodle soup for lunch today so I was dinner-less again, and decided to go Asian style. I don't know if I matched up to my mom's, or even Congee Queen's standards, but I gave it a try. Again, online search gave me a few ideas, and this is pretty straight forward except for how I tried frying the garlic and drumsticks before adding the broth. Otherwise I pretty much just threw in the following and waited: 

Garlic (borrowed, from roommate again)
Drumsticks (leftover from last night) 
Water (9 ish cups, but I kept having to add more)
Rice (3/4 of a cup)
Chicken broth (mmm)
Fish sauce (cuz I'm Viet like that)
Bok choy (finally finished it!!)
Coriander (garnish)

Oh, I also took the drumsticks out maybe 30 mins in when they were cooked, cut the meat off and shredded it and threw the bones back into the pot. I don't actually know how to shred it so I just cut it into little pieces, and then I put them back in the congee after it was all done. And voila! My final creation...


Also I should mention the googly eyed thing is a plant my roommate and I got for free at a recruitment tour yesterday. Apparently it's wheatgrass and grows in this squishy silicone (might not be silicone) thing with fluorescent light! I always wanted to grow stuff so I'm really excited to see how it turns out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment